Monday, March 28, 2016

Merckx Monday

Technically, it's still Monday.  Almost over, but it's still Monday so I'll squeeze this in.  Several months ago, I got an email from someone saying that with my new Merckx tribute frames, I should also have a genuine Merckx.  (If it was you who sent the message, let me know because I can't for the life of me find the old messages.)  I replied that it would be nice, but when would a 64cm or 65cm vintage Merckx ever come up for sale?  Turns out that happened not long after I sent that reply because he sent a message saying that there was a big Merckx on ebay that very moment.  Not really desiring a project bike, I threw down a very modest bid and won.  I want between thinking that was great to thinking it wasn't so great.  Great because I picked up a really sweet 65cm Merckx.  Not so great because now I had to build it up.  I had a few parts and the hunt for just the right parts was really easy.  The parts I wanted just seemed to be there on ebay when I looked.  And they were all reasonable.  Even picked up a 180mm NR/SR crankset.   Pretty much a Super Record build, which seemed appropriate for this 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra.

So, now what to do with it?  Ride it of course.  And then take it down to Paso Robles, CA for the Eroica California event weekend after next.  Wasn't easy getting the time to build a personal bike while all the new frames were arriving, but I got the tires glued on today and will get out on it ASAP.   
Merckx Corsa
The frame has just the right level of used, but still in great shape look about it.

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa
I fit it with a Shimano Dura Ace 13-28 because I have a bunch of Shimano cogs and bodies left over from years gone past and the 28 will help with the 85 miles and climbing on the Eroica.

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa
Simplex Retrofriction shifters.  One of the few parts I've had for years waiting for just the right frame.

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa

Merckx Corsa

(What's playing:  Johnny Winter Highway 61 Revisited)

3 comments:

youcancallmeAl said...

wow!!

Anonymous said...

Very Nice, Mike

RoadieRyan said...

What a beauty! the perfect L'Erocia bike