Sunday, September 7, 2008

What's in the stand...

This super cool old Phoenix came in for a tune-up. This is the kind of bike that just "shows up" for service out here in West Marin. The owner of this bike bid on a tune-up I donated for a charity auction. The Phoenix is likely my all-time favorite riding frame. WTB nailed the design of this frame from the get go and it remained, essentially, unchanged throughout its 6 year production run. I don't know anyone who has one who doesn't rave about it and the few folks who have had one and have sold theirs off still have regrets - right Marty ;-) ?


This one even has a custom stem. The stem cap is integrated into the stem as well. Pretty cool touch.

The brakes on the bike were WTB Speedmaster canti brakes. They have the ubiquitous crack in the pad holder. Too bad these brakes had this problem. They were pretty darn cool.

(What's playing: The Who Pinball Wizard)

10 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

Oooo! Marty! snap!

You really thought those WTB cantis were cool, eh? Man, I disdained those things! Whenever a bike came in with those brakes on it for repair I knew I was in for a long day.

Must be a secret I never figured out, but thankfully they are really rare around these parts anymore.

blackmountaincycles said...

The US made version was fine, until the pad holder cracked. A dab of grease on the threads and they snugged up nicely. The Taiwan made version did have its share of problems with the pads not being able to be tightened enough - brake arm too skinny and pad holder clamp too large...

I wish I had a spare set of XTR canti brakes to put on this bike, but budgets being what they are, it got a set of Tektro Oryx brakes which stop the bike just fine.

Marty said...

Ohhhh...

:) No regrets Mike. I know I can get it back if I REALLY want to!

I do certainly miss it though. There's been too many Pheonix threads lately on VRC...

blackmountaincycles said...

You know its here for you to ride, Marty, whenever you come out to Marin.

Guitar Ted said...

Ahh! It must have been that I always had the Taiwanese version to work on. That would make sense, because your description of them is exactly what I was up against when trying to make them work.

Thanks for clearing that mystery up for me Mike

Bushpig.vrc said...

I always thought that WTB cantis looked clunky. I have a box of them that I picked up for spare roller cam parts, but I've never tried the brakes themselves. I spose I should.

My Potts CCR has the same integrated cap in the stem.

blackmountaincycles said...

The springs from the canti may be too short for standard length rollercams. Probably okay for compacts, though.

Anonymous said...

I think Steve got those stem quills straight from Nitto, with that angled cap already in place.

Eric said...

Mike, would the owner prefer to have the same brake setup? I have a set (that you sent me several years ago) that are not currently in use. They're not the US version.

I'm with Ted on these brakes: setting them up is too much work. If any one of the three adjustments (up-down, toe in-out, and height) is off, it's impossible to adjust the one aspect - all three need to reset from scratch. Lots of work. :(

EL

blackmountaincycles said...

EL, Not the US version, you can keep 'em ;-) It's already a done deal with the Tektro brakes. And like you said, lots of work getting those brakes to work. Thanks, though.