Well, actually, what's on the work bench today. This sweet little trike came in a while ago. It's owner was looking for new pedals and "headset" parts. By chance, I found the pedals right away as I was called to duty to install new pedals on the trikes at the local preschool where my wife works. I was able to get an extra pair for the trike in the shop.
After spending way too much time trying to find "headset" parts, steering axis busing is probably a more appropriate name, I came up with this little fix. The original headset parts were a brass/steel shim that took up the space between the steerer tube and head tube. Someone suggested that most trikes used plastic bushings and that I might be able to find something at the hardware store. As you can see, there was a bit of play in the "headset."
A trip to the hardware store and I picked up these plastic plumbing fittings (cold water only, it says on them).
I cut the threaded section off and took a file to the inside to get it to fit over the steerer tube. A little filing to the head tube area was all it took for the new part to fit in the frame snugly.
And it's just like new! Well, maybe better than new. No slop in the front end assembly and nice easy steering.
(What's playing: Tom Waits Nighthawks At The Diner)